This vegetarian risotto is quick to prepare and you don’t have to constantly stand over a pan stirring it. It’s a wonderfully warm and comforting dish and was a big hit with me and Mr Grubby Face. The kids were less impressed. As it is so easy to just pop it into the oven I wouldn’t be against cooking this for just us in the evening.
Serves 2 adults and 4 kids (you could easily reduce quantities of rice, veg, and stock to make less)2 tbs Olive oil Knob of butter 3 garlic cloves, crushed 1 large onion 2 courgettes, diced 280g/10oz carnaroli or arborio risotto rice 1 litre/13/4 pints hot vegetable stock 125g/4½oz frozen peas defrosted 125g/4½o frozen broad beans or soya beans, defrosted (these can be left out without hindering flavour) 3tbsp chopped chives, mint, basil or parsley (or a mixture) zest 1 small lemon 50g/2oz Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), freshly grated 3 tbsp mascarpone or cream cheese
- Heat oven to 200°c/180°c fan/gas 6. Heat the oil and butter in a flameproof casserole dish over a low heat. Put in the onion and garlic and fry for 5 mins until soft but not golden. Add the courgettes and rice and give it a good stir so they are covered in the oil.
- Poor in the hot stock and bring the whole dish to a boil, then put a lid on and bake in the over for 15 minutes. If you can give it a stir halfway but not essential.
- After 15minutes the rice should be just tender and most of the liquid will have been absorbed. Stir in the peas and beans.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, taste its ready and stir in the herbs, lemon zest, parmesan and mascarpone/cream cheese. Season lightly with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Hope you enjoyed reading. Happy cooking.