The children and I whisked up this smoothie for breakfast the other day. We really enjoyed it. The colour was impressive too.
Using blackberries, strawberries, and banana helps make this breakfast a great way of getting fibre, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants at the start of the day. Adding the coconut milk helps increase the vitamins and mineral content plus it has Medium Chain Fatty Acids which are digested in the body quickly and turned into energy. It is also now thought that consumption of coconut milk may help protect the body from infections and viruses. So this smoothie could be a really great way to start your day!
I use coconut milk a lot in my smoothies and cooking and prefer to use the one that is purely coconut and contains no emulsifiers. Biona Organic Coconut Milk 400ml is my favourite organic coconut milk.
I often have sliced frozen banana in my freezer as it is a great way of keeping those bananas that have gone really soft. I used one frozen sliced banana in this recipe and made sure I left them for about 5 minutes to soften slightly before blending. Don’t worry if you haven’t got a frozen banana a fresh one would be fine too. Just place them altogether in a hand blender and blend until fully puréed.
- 1 frozen banana (leave out of freezer to get a little soft)
- large handful of washed blackberries
- handful of strawberries
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 1 tin of Biona Coconut milk
- Place sliced banana, strawberries, blackberries, vanilla essence and coconut milk into a blender jug
- Hand blend until all fruit is smooth.
- Pour into a pretty glass and add a straw.
I hope you have a go at this smoothie. It really is delicious as well as being good for you.