This recipe for Christmas Gingerbread biscuits is great as the dough reacts extremely well to children rolling and cutting out. The large quantity of dough the recipe makes means the biscuits can be made in large quantities or the dough could be halved with one half frozen. We made these today with 5 year old daughter and then when the twins got up from their nap we all decorated them.
1lb/450g self raising flour
8oz/225g granulated sugar
1 dessertsoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
8oz/225g golden syrup
1 tablespoon of milk
- Melt the syrup, sugar, butter, and bicarbonate of soda together.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix in the milk.
- Roll out fairly thinly for crisp biscuits or thicker for softer ones.
- Arrange on a greased baking sheet and bake at Gas Mark 4/180c (160c fan) for 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Take out of over and place on baking rack
- When completely cool ice with royal icing (dries quicker and firmer) and decorate till your heart is content and your belly full. Look at how many biscuits you can make from one batch of dough!
All of the children got involved in decorating the biscuits.