When I bake this easy lemon traybake cake not only do I know it is going to taste lovely but I also know it will work hard for my family. This is a cake that:
- produces lots of portions (21 in total)
- is quick and easy to make and bake
- can be frozen and defrosts quickly
- is a good lunch-box cake (pack frozen portions in the morning and they’ll be defrosted by 12pm)
- can be iced for a more celebratory cake
- can have custard added to make it into a simple pudding
- can have stewed fruit and custard added to it and it becomes an even better pudding
- can be used for the base of a trifle too.
Cake tin needed is a 30cm x 23cm (12 x 9 inch) traybake or roasting tin
225g (8oz) butter softened
225g (8oz) caster sugar
275g (10oz) self-raising flour
2 level tsp baking powder
4 large egss
4 tbsp milik
grated zest of 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/fan 160°c/gas 4. Butter the tin then line the base with non-stick baking parchment
- Measure all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat until well blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the time and springs back when pressed in the centre with your fingertips. Leave in the tin to cool.