Show that special parent, grandparent, neighbour or teacher you love them with these delicious scrummy, jammy heart biscuits.
300g/10oz plain flour, plus extra for sprinkling
150g/50z caster sugar
250g/8oz soft butter, diced
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla essence
½ tsp salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla essence and beat the mixture until it is smooth
- Next add the flour and slat and mix everything together to form a smooth dough
- Mould the dough into a ball, wrap it in clingfilm and leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Heat the oven to 180°c/350°F(gas 4). Roll dough to ½cm (¼inch) thick and cut out circles with a 6cm cutter
- Arrange the circles on to greased baking trays. Cut hearts out of HALF the cookie circles.
- Cook the cookies for 12 minutes until golden.
- Leave to completely cool.
- Now spoon on the jam. Blob a small spoonful of jam on top of the butter icing. Pop the heart cookies on top.
- Give to your loved ones to enjoy and show them how much you love them. Yummy!!!
We used the recipe and idea from Children’s First Cookbook by Annabel Karmel The recipe suggested using butter icing inside the biscuits which would have been nice but we had some ready made in the fridge so we used that instead
This is a great children’s cook book. Beautifully laid out, with easy to follow instructions and pictures. We are inspired to make more from this now. Perhaps something savoury like the pizzas.
Thank you for reading